PGLDS monthly newsletter.

Given the opportunity, talent can come from anywhere and go everywhere.

Welcome to the PGLDS monthly newsletter.


Follow us on our social channels for the latest contest updates, resources, and events.

Highlights:
  • Everyone I Love Is Dead: Check out the new digital comedy series from our Greenlighters on Blackpills
  • Reel Fear Horror Contest:  Watch the Top 5 finalists' proof of concept scenes
  • #SignedByClive Mini-Contest: Who will win free a copy of the Hellraiser Anthology signed by Clive Barker himself!
  • Advisory Board Spotlight: Tamara Krinsky
Everyone I Love Is Dead - Official Trailer
WATCH THE TRAILER FOR EVERYONE I LOVE IS DEAD
NOW STREAMING ON BLACKPILLS
In this post-post apocalyptic world, sentient Zombies are the new dominant species. Jesse, an actor hoping to tap into his human side, is determined to prove that their pet humans are smarter than everyone thinks. Together with his simpler minded roommates, they will use their brains to conquer the impossible task of... paying bills... and stuff.

Written and directed by Greenlighters, Alex Hunter and Julian DoanEVERYONE I LOVE IS DEAD is now streaming on blackpills. Download the free app to watch this new zombie comedy from Adaptive Studios.
WATCH EVERYONE I LOVE IS DEAD ON BLACKPILLS
The Top 5 finalists' proof of concept scenes are in! Each REEL FEAR finalist was given $2,000 to film a scene using pre-written dialogue. Although they received the same script and instructions, their creativity was challenged in bringing the scene to life. 
  • The Honeymoon Phase - Phillip Carroll & Chloe Carroll (Winner of the Public Vote!)
  • Wither - Anthony Williams & Danny DelPurgatorio
  • Fishhook - Danny Valentine & Reid Engwall
  • Safe Word - Dani Parker
  • Bloom - Megan Rosati
See the finalists' original pitch videos here, and stay tuned for the winner announcement on August 1!
WATCH THE TOP 5 PROOF OF CONCEPT SCENES
Did you enter the #SignedByClive Mini-Contest? Stay tuned to find out who will win a new hardback copy of the Hellraiser anthology, signed by Clive Barker!

Keep your eyes peeled for more PGLDS mini-contests coming soon!
FILMMAKER TIP! 
Your next step is to get an idea for a short. I suggest you focus on a story you can tell in three minutes or less.” - Jason Brubaker

ADVISORY BOARD MEMBER SPOTLIGHT:
TAMARA KRINSKY

--
1. Tell us a bit about yourself (profession, experience/how many years in the industry, any notable accolades).

I’m a writer, actress, broadcast host, and new media producer. I won a Primetime Emmy Award for writing & interactive strategy on EMMA APPROVED, a multi-platform adaptation of Jane Austen’s EMMA. The project combined my love of storytelling and technology. On the hosting front, I am Marvel’s West Coast Correspondent, anchoring special events and live broadcasts of their red carpet premiere shows, most recently, SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING and MARVEL’S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 2. I’ve covered the Oscars, the Emmys and special events for THE RED CARPET REPORT; host coverage for the Producers Guild Awards; and was a correspondent for PBS’s WIRED SCIENCE. A life-long science fiction fan, I’m a co-founder of Scirens (pronounced “Sirens”), a trio of actresses/writers who create science-infused entertainment and advocate for science literacy in the general public. My acting work includes STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT, Disney Junior’s SOFIA THE FIRST, CHARMED, and numerous theater projects. I’m a member of the acclaimed Antaeus Theater Company, and just appeared as the “devilishly delightful Mae” in their sold out production of CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (LA Times Critics Pick).

2. Why did you choose to get involved with Project Greenlight Digital Studios?
I love PGLDS’s mission to foster and encourage voices that have traditionally been overlooked, as well as their commitment to mentorship. This is a business where there is no one straight path to success…especially because “success” means a lot of different things to different people, and can change over the course of time. An organization like PGLDS provides more opportunities for those who are willing to put their vision out there, and I feel fortunate to be a part of that.
3. What advice would you give someone starting out in the film industry?

One of the best pieces of advice I got was “figure out if you’re a buyer or a seller.” For example, agents are sellers, casting directors are buyers. Production company execs often must play both roles. But thinking about this question will give you an interesting perspective on how you might want (or NOT want) to spend the day-to-day of your career.

For creatives – writers, actors, directors – find a group of like-minded people and band together with them so that you have a way of expressing, practicing or creating art that is not dependent on someone else saying “yes.” It may be a group with whom you actually create projects, or a group that supports one another’s individual efforts. Theater company. Improv troupe. Writers group. YouTube channel collaborators. This can be a lonely business – finding those to accompany you on the journey helps you stay in it for the long haul.

Be nice to everyone. When the gig is between two people, I’ve seen it come down to who they think is going to be a better human to hang out with late at night in the writers’ room or on set. Plus, it’s just the right thing to do.


4. How did you break into Hollywood/the entertainment industry?

I studied theater and communications at Northwestern University. One of my first jobs in LA was working for Film Independent (FIND). I started by volunteering for the organization, and eventually convinced them to hire me. After FIND, I transitioned into working on both interactive media projects and film festivals…nothing quite like watching 500+ movies a year to get an understanding of what does/doesn’t work. On the acting side, I got my SAG card on Star Trek: First Contact (thank you, Jonathan Frakes!). While acting in TV/film, I’ve kept myself grounded by performing with my theater company, The Antaeus Company.

5. What movie or series are you planning to watch or currently watching?

I was doing a play for the first half of 2017, so I didn’t have much time for TV watching…finally catching up! Right now Game of Thrones and Orphan Black are at the top of my list. I just finished The Handmaid’s Tale, and I’m about to dive into the second half of the first season of This Is Us. Movie-wise, I just saw Spider-Man: Homecoming, which was a blast! Hoping to catch The Big Sick while it’s still in theaters.

6. Any exciting projects coming up?

There are a few things looming for the fall, but I can’t talk about them just yet. What I can share is that I just shot the pilot Girls Gone Geek, a geek-oriented, female-led talk show (think Comic Con meets The View). I’m the lead host and I get to hang out with a group of kickass women and talk about everything from diversity casting in superhero movies to Westworld’s take on artificial intelligence to breeding glow-in-the-dark bunnies (yes, this is a real thing!). I’m also in the midst of shopping episodic projects with my Scirens partners. Our name is a play on “Screen Sirens for Science,” and we have a slate of both scripted and non-scripted shows.
Copyright © 2017 Project Greenlight Digital Studios, All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Comments

Popular Posts