Riverside - By Sean Lawrence

FADE IN:
INT. TWIN ENGINE CROP DUSTER - EARLY MORNING
The moon creeps across the darkblue sky in slow motion. Planes MOTOR CRANKS over fills the compartment with ENGINE NOISE. CAMERA TRACKS inside the plane’s cockpit, briefly noticing a YOUNG WOMAN wearing a pair of Ray-ban’s, her  headset, sits covering her face just enough to allow her to talk into the mic...she sits  holding the plane controls, KAREN KATHLEEN, 17, carefree, edge of the seat type, head always in the clouds, a daydreamer, her skin, high-yellow, she is biracially-mixed.
The PLANE loops, into a tailspin,  fliping the cockpit, rolling over and over, looping endover end. Plane TILTS up and CLIMBS EVEN HIGHER.CAMERA TRACKS to front of plane on pilot.BACK to the rear of the cockpit a MAN with headset on - WINWORTH RIGHT, a skinny toothpick of a man late 50’s, scream's into his headset.CAMERA ON WINWORTH WINWORTH (into headset)
Where the sam hell are you going? Can... you... hear me? What’s going on up there?
The plane turns downward descends over a farm, releasing it’s payload over the fields below. CUT TO --
WINTORTH What are you doing? Pull it up now! Or I’ll end this little joyride right now.
EXT/INT. HANGAR - DAY
Plane PACES THE runway stops near an open hangar’s door. SOUND of the engine’s cutting off. Karen JUMPS, down the wing. Her face aglow with a radiant smile.
WINWORTH’S POV - ON KAREN
WINWORTH
Next time, you pull a damn stunt like that -- I’ll ground your ass faster than you can say “stink on shit”.
Karen runs off towards the farmhouse. JUMP CUT TO --
INT. KATHLEEN RANCH - DAY
Karen runs into the house upstairs and straight into the shower. JUMP CUT TO --
INT. KATHLEEN RANCH - KAREN’S ROOM - MOMENTS LATER
Karen dressed in undergarments falls to the bed pulls a pair of jeans up past her hips jumps to the floor, pulls back her hair -- heads downstairs she tosses her blouse over her head, running past her MOTHER, A TALL SLENDER WOMAN WITH JET BLACK HAIR.
INT. JEEP WRANGLER - DAY
Karen falls into the seat of her jeep, placing the key into the starter, turns over the engine. On comes the radio, playing a loud, fast-beat song, she starts to sing along -- pulling her seatbelt on over her shoulder.
Jeeps top down, her curly brown hair, flows behind her -- in the wind, outside the jeep.
Karen drives pass fields of corn, and wheat the tendered farmland and down the side of the hilly mountaintop into the city below.
On the road a sign sits “ENTERING THE TOWN OF RIVERSIDE POPULATION 10,392”. MATCH JUMP CUT --
EXT. GLEN ALLEN SUBDIVISION - DAY
On the street-sign reads “Glen Allen” once pass the main gate, the streets all have nicely landscaped lawns and every street intimation into the different part of the subdivision.
Karen turns down one street after another finally turning onto “Union Street”.
EXT. UNION STREET - DAY
Pulling into the cul-de-sac, she see’s Michelle Morgan, an executive type, a towering figure, at 6 feet. Running late, she jumps into her van and drives of in a hurry.
Karen pulls her jeep next to a 2012 red, CAMARO -- black on black wheels, with black racing stripes down the hood. Across the front hood in gold letters reads “ZL1”.
Karen climbs out her jeep, walks towards side of the house: to a cracked window, lifts the handle up and steps inside.
INT. DEANDRE MORGAN’S ROOM - MOMENTS LATER
In a king-sized bed, sleeping -- DeAndre Morgan, six-foot-seven, black male, 17, with athletic build. All over the wall’s of the room plaques and TROPHIES from his sports accomplishments, the room’s walls are covered with them.
Camera PUSH IN on Karen moving towards the bed, placing a leg over his six foot seven frame, the alarm starts to goes off, she hits the snooze button, she puts her chest on top of his.
DEANDRE
Did she see you?
KAREN
No. Good morning...? Who (beat) your mother? No.
DEANDRE
She must have seen you ...wonder what she thinks?
KAREN
She thinks nothing. She’s so busy getting out the door she doesn’t even see me. Why do you care?
DEANDRE
Why I care?...I don't ... Wouldn’t you if it was your Mother?
KAREN
No not really...What reason would she?
DEANDRE
Wow! Just asking... did she see you?
KAREN
So what if she saw me...who gives a damn?
DEANDRE
Not a big deal.
KAREN
You know what.. ? I think....it’s you that cares,(beat) what your mother thinks?
DEANDRE
I do care, what's wrong in that caring about what someone thinks; about us.
KAREN
What is the point -- she’s your mother not your overlord,  grow a spine, there is a thing called free will, you’ve heard of it right.
She moves into kiss him but he stops her.
DEANDRE
Not about us, but about you.
KAREN
As well she should you are a grown man. Now! That your mother saw me, she saw me yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that; one. Besides your mom is so busy getting out the door in the mornings she has no idea.
DEANDRE
It seems that way(beat) but she is really.

KAREN
Really what?
DEANDRE
Looking out for us.
KAREN
I never took you for a(beat).
DEANDRE
Took me for a what?
KAREN
(smartly)
A mama’s boy.
He slightly sits up pushing her to the side into the bed.
DEANDRE
(neatly)
Me? A mama’s boy? Not even.
KAREN
You know when your mother, cooks for you, cleans for you, and washes your ass for you, even clothe you and does every little thing for you. You are a mama’s boy aren’t you? Just tell me the truth. You are one?
DEANDRE
No. Not even. Not like that.
KAREN
Like, how  then? Like what -- explain it to me.
DEANDRE
I clean myself and nobody wipes anything, for me but she looks out for me, and by me I mean us.
KAREN
What does she think? That we are playing house, or watching television, or just, hanging out. What more could we be doing other than having sex? No wait there's, no just sex.
DEANDRE
I don’t know about...just sex.
KAREN
You know what?
DEANDRE
No I don’t no what. What?
Looking him in the eye.
KAREN
I would still love you even if you where a mama’s boy. I will always love you.
She kisses him, he kisses her back.

DEANDRE
Hey! What time is it?

KAREN
Why?
DEANDRE
Got morning practice.
KAREN
Eight.
She reaches to touch his lips to wipe off the lip stick, but he jumps up pushing her to the side in a hurry.
KAREN (CONT’D)
Well good morning to you too.
DEANDRE
I’m going to be late for practice.
He grabs the first pair of shorts.
KAREN
You're welcome!
DEANDRE (O.S.)
If I'm late again coach is going to kill me.
Camera PUSH IN to follow him towards the rooms door.
Karen stands up.
Camera REVERSE WITH Karen from the room towards the bathroom.
INT. SECOND FLOOR BATHROOM - MOMENTS LATER
DeAndre reaches for his toothbrush. Karen walks in wearing one off his matching football sweatshirt’s with D.Morgan On the back.
DEANDRE
(jokingly tone)
Are you going to move out the way or will I have to move you?
Reaching down he grabs legs, placing her over his shoulder.
Carries her downstairs pass the front room into the living-room area.
INT. DOWNSTAIRS LIVING-ROOM AREA - DAY
Dumping her in an oversize chair.
KAREN
So is this how you treat all the girls?
INT. KITCHEN - DAY
CAMERA PANS refrigerator door as it opens completely filled.
DeAndre takes out the orange juice.
DEANDRE’S POV - ON KAREN
DEANDRE (O.S.)
Do you want something to drink?
KAREN
I hope you‘re not offering me what your drinking.
He wipes his lips
DEANDRE (O.S.)
Do you want some or not?
KAREN
(demanding)
What if I do? Yes! I would love something to drink.
INT. LIVING-ROOM - MOMENTS LATER
Camera PUSHES IN slowly on Karen. He hands over her holding the glass taking  he slowly takes a knee  reaching down he pulls her in closer to him  he leans in kisses her on the lips.
CAMERA REVERSE PUSH IN on Deandre kneeling down to the front of the chair he looks into her eyes and leans in once more and kisses her deeply again.
Pulling away.
She reaches into him and grabs his neck pulling him in.
DEANDRE
We have to go. Now! Or I’m dead.
EXT. RIVERSIDE HIGH STADIUM FIELD - NIGHT
CAMERA PANS the sidelines - DEANDRE’s POV: DeAndre looks over, to find Karen. JUMP CUT TO --
CAMERA ON the field. The ball is hiked He fumbles the exchange between the running back, and is forced to jump on the ball the OPPOSING TEAM gang TACKLES him the referees blow’s the play dead. The next play back under center, the ball is hiked  he drops back and throws a strike to his wide receiver, touchdown the stadium erupts in excitement.
A cheerleader comes to the side of the bench and stands next to Karen. The head trainer MARK WILSON, stands helping other players -- he a short, heave set, middle aged, bald man wearing a pair of glasses.
MARK
Karen, I need you.
KAREN
Yes sir.
MARK
Wrap, Matt Elkhart's wrist.
Matt Elkhart, larger than life, two hundred pound, senior. The next play is the extra point and DeAndre is still on the field he is the placeholder.
Karen works on Matt’s wrist and the whole time she’s watching the game and working on Matt’s hand.
CAMERA PANS the field The play on the field breaks down and the hike is no good, quickly DeAndre picks up the ball and runs towards the goal line adding another two points on the scoreboard.
CAMERA PANS the sidelines off comes Deandre bouncing off holding the shoulder of another player.
KAREN
Sit him right here, are you okay.
DEANDRE
Yeah, it’s fine I just rolled my ankle a little bit.
Walking over Coach Reinhardt.
COACH REINHARDT
Morgan, are you going to be ready to go next series.
DEANDRE
Yes sir, no problem coach.
COACH REINHARDT
That’s what I like to hear.“Lets go first team D on me now”.
DeAndre looks down at Karen, she’s just finished wrapping his ankle.
DEANDRE
Thanks. What did Matt Elkhart want?
KAREN
Nothing he just wanted his wrist wrapped.
DEANDRE
That’s funny because he doesn’t even play.
KAREN
Dre, this is my job. You leave him alone. You can’t be worrying about me when you need to be focused on the game.
DEANDRE
I can’t help it when I’m in there all I can think of is you, and then once the ball is snapped I’m back at it.
KAREN
Your head needs to be in the game, Dre. Not thinking about me and what I’m doing... on the sidelines...you need to be focusing on the game at all times... your mind can’t wonder while you’re in there or you’re going to make  more mistakes, take you’re focus off me and think about what you are playing for out there.
DEANDRE
I love the fact you know me so well.
KAREN
I know you better than your own mother.
DEANDRE
Watch it now.
KAREN
So touchy...about yo mama.
The referee gun’s goes off marking the end of the second quarter and the team marches into the locker room. MATCH CUT TO --
INT. BOY’S LOCKER ROOM - MOMENTS LATER
COACH REINHARDT
We are in the middle, of the breach men we have been here before and remained victorious. The only difference -- this will be the last time for a lot you. You need to get out here and show them what we are made off. Let’s show them who we are “Running Rebels” “We are”. And what do “Running Rebels” do.
TEAM
“Fight!”, “Fight!”, “Fight!”
TEAM runs out the locker room.
EXT. RIVERSIDE HIGH STADIUM FIELD - NIGHT
Deandre is on the field to end the 4th Quarter.
DEANDRE
Victor! Tango R32 hike! hike!
By now the game is a landslide coach is starting to sub-in players to give the underclassmen more playing time.
CAMERA PANS SCOREBOARD Home 56 visitors 14.
ANNOUNCER (O.S.)
(over intercom)
It looks like Riverside High will be our new 5A State Champions way to go “Riverside Running Devils”.
Running onto the field the STUDENT BODY as the last few seconds ticks off clock.
As the clock goes to zero DeAndre is kissing Karen while the rest of the stadium is going wild with joy.
INT. RIVERSIDE HIGH  - 4 MONTHS LATER - DAY
DeAndre and Karen holding hands in the hallway of the school.
KAREN
Where are we going for prom?
DEANDRE
You know that's a good question, I was thinking about taking Susan Reynolds shes always has had a crush on me.
KAREN
Oh, yeah -- you where, really. Not if your life depended on it.
Swing with a open hand but missing.
DEANDRE
Wow...it’s like that...?
KAREN
Like. That!
DEANDRE
I don’t have a clue, it’s prom, I know its a formal, dance, and I need a tux, and some means of transportation to get us there and somewhere to stay afterwards and it’s a--
KAREN
--You forgot one thing someplace to eat, I’m no cheap date.
Holding his had up towards him and moving his other hand inside his palm.
DEANDRE
Oh yeah I got that covered, McDonald’s check.
KAREN
McDonald’s yeah right.
Up walks Richard Gould the student aid for Coach Reinhardt
RICHARD
Hey Dre. Coach wants to see you.
DEANDRE
Did he say why?
RICHARD
Some recruiter, from state is in his office he wants you to come by to meet him.
DEANDRE
Okay,... tell him, I’m on my way.
KAREN
Did he say recruiter?
DEANDRE
Yes.
KAREN
I thought they couldn’t recruit you at school or visit you without the direct supervision of one of your adult parents present.
DEANDRE
Who are you, the police.
KAREN
No, I just don’t want you getting in any trouble.
DEANDRE
I won’t, coach probably just pulled a few strings.
INT. RIVERSIDE HIGH - COACH REINHARDT OFFICE - MOMENTS LATER
DeAndre at the door of the coaches office -- the door is slightly open.
COACH REINHARDT
Come in, come in young man do you have any idea who this is ?
DEANDRE
Yes sir.
COACH REINHARDT
Well since you already know, then  let me officially introduce you to, Coach William Cohen the lead offensive coordinator at State U.
DeAndre extends his hand noticing the large oversize fingers of the man and how small his hand is.
COACH COHEN
While nothing formal just call me Bill we at State would like to extend a visit to our falsities to you and your family, unofficially of course; we would like to offer you a scholarship and hope that you would enjoy being a red shirt freshmen at State University, next year.
DeAndre takes a step back looks at the board and sees that the coach has the roster in place for next year starting seniors and at that moment he looks at Coach Cohen.
DEANDRE
I would love that sir very much.
COACH REINHARDT
Like I said the boy has a bright head on his shoulders.
INT. RIVERSIDE HIGH AUDITORIUM - DAY
Coaches, and football staff, and organizers have all gathered behind a makeshift podium. At the front of it is Coach Reinhardt, along with Deandre Morgan, and both of his parents, they sit with the banner of State University behind them.
COACH REINHARDT
It gives me great pleasure to announce that one of our standout players from our senior class has chosen to attend State U in the fall, ladies and gentlemen I give you a rising star in the Riverside high program and soon in the State University program, come next fall Mr. Deandre Morgan.
DEANDRE
First giving honors to God, without him none of this would be possible, to my mother and father who stand here with me today and to the coaches and staff of Riverside High. I would like to thank, all the teachers and staff who I have had the honor in working with to make me better student and I hope to bring forth the scholastic achievement in the classroom to such high esteem as well the attributes that God has bless me with on the sports field. With that said today, I am here to announce my intent to attend State University in the upcoming fall, joining there fine athletics program.
INT. HOTEL BALL ROOM - NIGHT
Senior prom night most people are arriving by limos and some are driving themselves, and everyone is dressed in formal wear.
Karen and DeAndre have come with a group of friends, Robert Cummings a starting guard who stands six foot two, and his date Vanessa Lasher, a lacrosse player on the all-state girls team, along with two other players from the football team and their dates.
ROBERT
We finally made it here that driver was taking forever, but we had fun.
DEANDRE
Yes, I was but, just think from here it’s easy sailing.
ROBERT
I’m glad I let you talk me into getting a room here.
DEANDRE
Hey, shut up about that Karen doesn’t know it’s going to be a surprise my sister is up there right now setting the whole thing up.
VANESSA
This ballroom is amazing they really did an awesome job on setting this place up.
KAREN
Thanks we really worked hard in doing the them, we wanted to get it just right.
DEANDRE
Speaking just right, did I mention how beautiful you look.
KAREN
I could tell you liked the dress your mouth almost hit the floor when you saw me step out the limo.
Standing beside the punch bowl Robert up ends his flask into the bowl and drops a pill into his mouth.
ROBERT
Does anyone want a drink?
DEANDRE
Sure hand me one.
VANESSA
What did you put in this.
ROBERT
A little rum and coke.
VANESSA
More like a little coke and a lot of rum.
KAREN
No. Thank you.
DEANDRE
Now you are making me look bad.
VANESSA
No, he’s not. Only himself.
A waiter walks out of the kitchen pushing a tray with refreshments.
DEANDRE
Can you help me I think something flew into the bowl.
ROBERT
Why did you do that?
DEANDRE
Look over there. Do you see who that is over there?
Robert turns his head and looks in the direction that DeAndre is pointing.
In the distant up walks a tall shadowy figure.
COACH REINHARDT
I trust everyone is on their best behavior!
ROBERT
Yes sir, we are sir.
Mrs. Sherwood a tall slender woman wearing a red dress and high cut back is at the stage and is ready to announce the winner of prom king and queen.
MRS. SHERWOOD
If I may have all the contestant on the stage who are in the running for king and queen please.
All the couples are on the stage standing right to left in the middle of the stage is DeAndre and Karen holding hands.
MRS. SHERWOOD (CONT’D)
This years winner for the fall prom is Deandre Morgan and Karen Kathleen.
The ballroom lets off a great cheer, the music of the formal starts and Deandre and Karen take the floor.
DEANDRE
I hope this is everything that you hoped for.
KAREN
Even more.
The couples dances all night.
INT. HOTEL SUITE - NIGHT
KAREN
Where are you taking me?
DEANDRE
Don’t worry, your mother already knows.
KAREN
What are you talking about?
The two step through the door of their room and Karen opens her eye’s to see the whole room.
DEANDRE
Well do you like it?
KAREN
OMG, who did all this?
DEANDRE
Even though I don’t say it all the time. I love you too.
The room is covered in candles and flower the bed has a big rose petal heart in the middle.
INT. RIVERSIDE HIGH - GIRLS BATHROOM - DAY
Karen walks into the girls bathroom.
KAREN
Is anyone in here?
Pushing the door open she throws up into the bowl.
Entering into the open stall door Laura Stalwart, Karen friend slight heavy set, but smart quick to the point type.
LAURA
You don’t look so hot. Are you okay?
KAREN
Aw, ugh. Yeah I’m fine just a little under the weather.
LAURA
Are you sure you may want to see the school nurse?
KAREN
For what so she can give me a midal and send me back to class.
LAURA
From the looks of it you not going to need any midal for a while.
KAREN
What are you talking about?
LAURA
You have morning sickness and last week was the prom you put two and two together.
Karen leans over at the sink to wash the taste from her mouth.
KAREN
I don’t want this all over the school as my best friend promise me on the life of your mother that you will keep this between us, promise me that I want be the subject of any of your gossips I need your help on this. Please.
LAURA
As my mother always says “if a friend can’t be a friend when you need them the most ...what’s the use of having them as a friend at all?” so I will be your friend and keep my mouth shut.
Karen stands color returns to her face -- turns the water off at the sink, Laura looks her in the eye to keep from crying she squeezes her hand.
INT. RIVERSIDE HIGH AUDITORIUM - DAY
ANNOUNCER
Ladies and gentlemen I give to you your graduating senior class of 2014.
The air is filled with the black caps and cheers from the students. MATCH CUT TO --
EXT. DEANDRE’S HOUSE - OUTSIDE DECK - NIGHT
DEANDRE
Can you believe it in a few months we will both be at State and our whole life will be different.
KAREN
I feel like my life has already changed.
COACH REINHARDT
Congratulation, young man this was a big day for you a big day for you all.
Standing with Coach Reinhardt is the coordinator of State U.
COACH COHEN
I wanted to stop by and personally congratulate you on your big day and to drop off this to you.
In his hand is a letter bonded, black book.
DEANDRE
What is this?
COACH COHEN
This is the rest of your life, your playbook.
The book has over four hundred and fifty pages all double side DeAndre thumbs through the book.
COACH REINHARDT
Welcome to the big leagues son you’re a college man now.
COACH COHEN
You’re going to need an early start to cover all this by the end of summer.
The two men walk back into the home.
DEANDRE
No rest for the wicked.
MATT
I guess those long night of studying start now for you.
DEANDRE
I guess. Karen what’s wrong?
KAREN
Nothing, I’m not feeling well I need to use the bathroom.
Karen makes her way inside.
INT. DEANDRE’S ROOM - MOMENTS LATER
Karen sits on Deandre’s couch looking at the most valuable player plaques from the state championship game.
Deandre walks into the room sitting next to her.
DEANDRE
What’s wrong you should be happy and you look so sad.
KAREN
It’s this whole college thing I don’t know if I’m ready for it, if I’m ready to go off with you and play house, you’re going to be still dealing with football for the next four years and school and not to mention living in a dorm room with a bunch of guys.
DEANDRE
We talked about this for the first year maybe but afterwards we would move off campus and get a place of our own.
KAREN
There is something I need to tell you.
She places her hand into his.
DEANDRE
What is it you can tell me anything.
KAREN
I’m so proud of you making it through this year and how you carried yourself you mean everything to me and I know you love me.
DEANDRE
Do you doubt it, you are my driving force.
KAREN
Dre, we have the whole summer together and I want to tell you.
In walks Mrs. Morgan.
MRS. MORGAN
Here you two are, everyone’s headed into town to go to the Lake. Karen could you help me clean up.
DeAndre jumps up and heads back downstairs.
EXT. DEANDRE’S HOUSE - OUTSIDE DECK - NIGHT
DEANDRE
Dad.
Mr. Morgan, a beast of a man, stands six foot four and is a very large man over two hundred and eighty five pounds. Slightly bald head completely clean.
MR. MORGAN
Yes. Son.
DEANDRE
I’m thinking about staying home for a little bit.
MR. MORGAN
What are you talking about, staying home?
CAMERA SPLITS PANS: TO THE BASE STAIRS ON KAREN.
She sits listening to DeAndre and his Father.
DEANDRE (O.S.)
I need a little more time with Karen, there are a few things we need to work through and leaving before there finish would make things go even more wrong.
CAMERA ON Mr. Morgan.
MR. MORGAN
Son. You’ve got a full ride with a scholarship worth over four hundred of thousand dollars anyone would kill for this opportunity.
DEANDRE (O.S.)
I know dad, but I feel that we can work through this, without her ...dad I can’t make it.
MR. MORGAN
Son I understand how you feel I felt the same way about your mother, but with or without her you need to go to college. College is the most important step in a young man’s life to miss out on something like this could completely reshape your future.
Karen walks up.
CAMERA ON Mrs. Morgan.
KAREN
I think that’s everything Mrs. Morgan.
In walks in Shane Peterson another member of the graduating class.
SHANE
Look over here honey I think you missed a spot.
DEANDRE
Hey, look pal she no bodies honey and most of all not your honey if you don’t mind the party is over and everyone is leaving now.
SHANE
Look mister quarterback don’t get bent all out of shape.
MR. MORGAN
Look son who did you come with. Let me give you a ride.
Mr. Morgan leads  the young men down stairs off the back deck along with Mrs. Morgan.
KAREN
Deandre, you don’t have to always stand-up for me. I am capable of taking care of myself. I can fight my own battles.
DEANDRE
What does that mean ?
KAREN
It means that I’m not going to State with you this fall. I’m staying here. We are finish.
Karen storms off towards her jeep and slams the door and drives off.
EXT. KATHLEEN RANCH - NIGHT
Karen sits in her jeep crying to herself.
She pulls herself from the front seat of her jeep and walks onto the porch.
MRS. KATHLEEN
What’s the matter child?
She falls into her mother’s lap.
KAREN
Have you ever loved someone, so much that you all you wanted was to live with them; and love them and never let them go?
MRS. KATHLEEN
Sure, your father. Lord rest his soul.
KAREN
That’s how I feel for DeAndre but I don’t want to change how things are now, I want to take this time; this second, this moment and seal it in time forever, because right now, he means everything to me and I don’t want to change any of that.
MRS. KATHLEEN
Karen, I don’t understand how are you going to change any of that?
KAREN
Mom because I’m having his baby.
MRS. KATHLEEN
Your what?
KAREN
I’m having it mom,
MRS. KATHLEEN
I not going to stop you its your body, I’m just wondering how this will impact DeAndre school.
KAREN
It will not, I’m not telling him he will never know he would give up on school and want to stay here.
MRS. KATHLEEN
Karen the boy has a right to know he is going to be a father.
KAREN
Maybe one day he can’t know now mom he can’t he would never leave now if he -- that’s why I broke things off with him tonight.
MRS. KATHLEEN
How are you going to have this baby, much less raise it on your own.
KAREN
Mother, I can do it. I watched you struggle enough raising us without dad.
EXT. DEANDRE’S HOUSE - OUTSIDE DECK - DAY
In her hand she holds the past everything that means anything to her given to her by DeAndre.
MR. MORGAN
Hello Karen, how are you doing.
KAREN
Fine sir, I'm here to bring DeAndre his things back.
MR. MORGAN
That’s what I want to talk to you about. DeAndre is a good boy and he loves you very much, but he has a big decision to make and he needs to be clear headed and frankly with you around he never is.
KAREN
Because he loves me.
MR. MORGAN
Yes, I know he is willing to sacrifice his future for you.
KAREN
Don’t you think he is big of enough to make his own decisions?
MR. MORGAN
It’s not about what I think it’s about what he can do at State and what type of future he will make for himself, do me a favor look out for his interests encourage him to go to school don’t hold him back.
KAREN
I would never dream of holding him back, and I agree his future is bright no matter what he decides but I will never hold him back.
Out walks out DeAndre’s mother.
MRS. MORGAN
Leave the girl alone, get DeAndre.
Mr. Morgan walks inside the home. A tear comes to Karen’s
MRS. MORGAN (CONT’D)
Here child no need to cry.
She hands her tissue to wipe the tear. Out walks DeAndre Mrs. Morgan walks back inside.
DEANDRE
I’m glad you’re here we need to talk about last night.
KAREN
There is nothing to talk about, here is all your things back. I kept the pictures that we took from prom.
DEANDRE
Baby. Let’s work this out I don’t understand. What the issues is?
KAREN
And that’s the problem Dre.
DEANDRE
Come up to my room for a sec.
They walk  into the house. MATCH CUT TO --
INT. DEANDRE’S ROOM - MOMENTS LATER
Karen sits on the couch DeAndre sits on his bed.
KAREN
Dre I love you. I feel like we have done everything together for the past four years and now you’re going to State. I need time to grow.
DEANDRE
Why can’t we do that together.
KAREN
Dre I’m.
DEANDRE
Your what?
KAREN
I have nothing else to say but that it’s over. Good luck at school.
She runs out the room.
EXT. ORANGE BOWL - NIGHT
DeAndre playing in his final bowl game for State.
He holds the ball, four blitzing, linemen have him surrounded one comes high the other low a POP is all you hear. JUMP CUT TO --
INT. ORANGE BOWL MEDICAL WING - MOMENTS LATER
Stadium staff are all around and other attending.
CAMERA ON DOCTOR LEE
DOCTOR LEE
We need to get him in a MRI machine now to see what the damage is.
DEANDRE (O.S.)
Doc tell me the truth how bad is it.
DOCTOR LEE
Until we have an MRI we would be only guessing , but we have the best staff standing by to help let them do their jobs and we will get you thru this. Just hang in there.
Pushing through double doors.
EXT. RIVERSIDE AIRPORT - DAY
Pushing a wheel chair JOHN HIGHTOWER, Black male, six-foot-five, three hundred pounds, small afro, with a dark jacket, wearing blue jeans.
Pushing DeAndre from the plane.
JOHN
Bet you can’t wait to see your mom.
DEANDRE
All I want is to set on the back deck and scratch the shit out of this cast.
JOHN
You’ll be out of that thing in no time.
DEANDRE
The doctor said eight weeks.
At the front of the airport pulls up Mr. Morgan
MR. MORGAN
I hope you boys haven’t been waiting long?
JOHN
No sir.
MR. MORGAN
John, go ahead and place your things in the back I’ve got him.
MRS. MORGAN
Look at my baby are you okay.
DEANDRE
Mom what are you doing here I told dad not to bring you I knew you would get all emotional.
INT. FORD EXPEDITION - MOMENTS LATER
Driving in town passing main street.
MR. MORGAN
This is it welcome to Riverside John, it’s not the biggest town but it’s the best little small town one can love.
JOHN
Sure looks nice sir, not like the east coast at all.
DeAndre looks out the window.
DEANDRE
Was that Karen I saw just back there?
MR. MORGAN
She has turned into a nice young woman. Here I need to go into the hardware store to pick up a few things. How else are you getting that chair into the house. John why don’t you come with me and let these two catch up.
JOHN
Yes sir.
The two men head into the store.
MRS. MORGAN
What’s on your mind you seem far away.
DEANDRE
Nothing.
MRS. MORGAN
Sure doesn’t seem like nothing.
DEANDRE
It’s been awhile since I’ve spoken to her.
MRS. MORGAN
She stayed here the whole time you while you were away.
DEANDRE
Part of the reason why I didn’t come home a lot.
MRS. MORGAN
Oh look, there she is now. She has  become a wonderful young woman I think she even has her own farm.
DeAndre falls back into his seat.
EXT. KATHLEEN RANCH - NIGHT
Karen at home with her mother and family.
MRS. KATHLEEN
A little bird told me that DeAndre Morgan was back in town.  
KAREN
Your little birds sounds more like a hen.
MRS. KATHLEEN
Anyway he’s in a cast from the incident in the bowl game.
Karen sits with her sister Susan a sixteen-year-old cheerleader, brace faced, with pigtails, mixed with glasses.
INT. DOCTOR’S OFFICE - TWO MONTHS LATER - DAY
Sitting in the Doctor’s office John and DeAndre.
NURSE
Deandre Morgan.
DEANDRE
That’s me.
On a pair of crutches he hops to from the waiting room.
DOCTOR SMITH
Looks like that cast comes off today now I want you to continue to use your crutches for about a week. Let’s see how that leg looks.
INT. THERAPIST OFFICE - DAY
Dan Green, Physical therapist stands five nine he holds in his hand a small bamboo stick, short but athletically built.
DAN
Today you have to work through.
DEANDRE
It’s easy to say that when you’re the one cracking the whip.
DAN
If you are going to return to the field this is where it starts. The work you put in here is what’s going to strengthen that knee and allow you to return to play.
DEANDRE
Okay let’s do it from the top again.
DAN
Two, three, four, come on you can do it, six, seven.
DeAndre, lifts through the final rep.
DEANDRE
Eight.
DAN
Great job, okay that’s it for today.
DEANDRE
You’re worst than some of my coaches.
DAN
If I don’t push you will not get back on that field. No driving right so whose picking you up.
DEANDRE
I know not until full strength has return, my dad will be here.
EXT. MAIN STREET - EVENING
DeAndre sit’s next to the side of the building.
A figure walks past him.
He sees Karen.
She’s placing a child into a child seat.
His leg is wrapped with bags of ice.
Up walks Matt Elkhart.
MATT
Someone told me you where back in town.
DEANDRE
You can’t believe everything you here.
MATT
Looks like you still have a thing for her.
DEANDRE
Looking back now we would have had a fighting chance, if it hadn’t been for college.
MATT
I hear she has a shop or two in town , and a ranch outside town I think it’s called the “Double K” ranch.
DEANDRE
Sound about right, she was always a dream chaser.
MATT
You need a ride.
DEANDRE
No, my dad will be here soon.
MATT
Nice to see you again we should hook up sometime.
DEANDRE
That would be cool but first let me get both of my legs under me.
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH - NIGHT
Karen pulls up to the ranch takes her son from the SUV and enters her home.
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH - DREW’S BEDROOM - MOMENTS LATER
She carefully places her son in his bed and turns off the light.
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH - LIVING ROOM - MOMENTS LATER
She kicks off her boots and tosses a couple of logs in the fire place under the logs is kindle and she places the match in the kindle.
Her phone rings.
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH/INT. KATHLEEN RANCH - MOMENTS LATER - INTERCUT
Karen picks up her phone.
MRS. KATHLEEN (V.O.)
Glad to see you made it home safe thanks for calling me once you got home.
KAREN
And I said I would call you, haven’t been home five seconds yet mom.
MRS. KATHLEEN (O.S.)
So where is Drew?
KAREN
I just put him in bed.
MRS. KATHLEEN (V.O.)
I really think you should get you some help. Between the ranch and the stores you’ve got your hands full.
KAREN
Trust me mom I can handle it plus with all the ranch hands running around here there is plenty of help.
MRS. KATHLEEN (O.S.)
You know how I worry about you , if you only find a good man and settle down.
KAREN
Is that the only reason why you called me to bug me about that again you start to sound like a broken record.
MRS. KATHLEEN (O.S.)
Speaking of have you spoken to Deandre yet?
KAREN
No. Mom. Good-night.
Karen hangs up the phone.
End INTERCUT:
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH - LIVING ROOM - MOMENTS LATER
Karen picks up a photo album.
In the album are photos of her son , Pre-k to first grade, first holidays from school first Christmas breaks a book of first.
She starts to cry in walks her son with a sleepy look on her face. He is a young Afro-American boy, he touches his mothers cheek.
DREW
What’s wrong mommy?
KAREN
Nothing, nothing at all.
INT. MORNING JOE’S - MORNING
Karen sets up her shop for the days service.
KAREN
Rachel set the chairs for service please
Rachel early 20’s, young woman stands about five-foot-six long hair employ of Karen’s, lightly colored hair with a lightly complected skin.
Rachel set the chairs at the table in the room and the once outside in front of the store front.
RACHEL
Looks like the morning rush is starting early today.
The door chime RINGS as the first customer enters the store.
KAREN
Hello. How may I help you?
Larry Freestone, stands at the front of the counter he a middle age thin man with a beard about his face.
LARRY
May I have the usual and also a dozen of everything bagels please.
KAREN
That will be, eighteen ninety five, out of twenty, here is your change.
Larry places the change in to a jar on the counter.
The next customer walks up.
RACHEL
May I help whoever is every next.
Karen has her back to the customer making orders.
Door chimes RINGS.
In walks DeAndre.
RACHEL (CONT’D)
And may I help you sir?
DEANDRE
Do you have any freshly squeezed orange juice?
KAREN
(smartly)
This is a coffee shop not a juice shop.
DEANDRE
Your telling me you don’t have anything else other then coffee in here?
Karen turns around.
KAREN
I don’t know...for you let me go in the back and look and see.
DeAndre is caught by surprise.
DEANDRE
My God Karen. What are you doing here?
KAREN
This is my baby, welcome to my shop.
DEANDRE
Sorry for being a jerk.
KAREN
No need to apologize. It’s okay a lot of people want what they can’t have.
DEANDRE
Thanks for understanding. What I mean is.
KAREN
Here is your orange juice.
He takes his drink and moves to the front of the line.
DEANDRE
Are you free for dinner or something?
KAREN
It’s been four years, not a call, not a letter. Nothing.
DEANDRE
I wanted to but every time I picked up the phone I didn’t know what to say, or even what words to put on the page.
KAREN
I don’t know , how about start with your feelings and go from there.
DEANDRE
How much do I owe you for this?
KAREN
It’s free. As for going out with you, friday night I’m free.
INT. KATHLEEN RANCH - MORNING
KAREN
So mom, why are you really here?
MRS. KATHLEEN
Do I need a reason to visit my favorite grandson?
KAREN
Last I checked you don’t have any more grand children.
MRS. KATHLEEN
But really I just wanted to check on you and see how you where doing.
KAREN
I’m fine mom and no need to check up on me.
MRS. KATHLEEN
While since Deandre been back I see a different look about you.
KAREN
What different look I look the same?
MRS. KATHLEEN
While are you going to tell him?
KAREN
Tell him what?
MRS. KATHLEEN
I understand how you feel?
KAREN
How I feel is it’s no ones business but my own.
MRS. KATHLEEN
He has a right to know.
KAREN
What rights?
MRS. KATHLEEN
Don’t you think it’s time?
KAREN
No. Why should I am his mother and we only need each other.
EXT. DEANDRE’S HOUSE - OUTSIDE DECK - NIGHT
DEANDRE
Thanks dad, this whirlpool is a big help.
MR. MORGAN
I’ve been wanting to put one out here for a long time but your mother keeps telling me no.
DEANDRE
The way Dan keeps working me, I feel like I’m back in high school doing two days.
MRS. MORGAN (O.S.)
Andre come get the door.
DEANDRE
Who is it mom I’m in the whirlpool.
MRS. MORGAN (O.S.)
It’s a girl named Maryann.
DEANDRE
Here I come.
DOWNSTAIRS FRONT DOOR - MOMENTS LATER
DEANDRE
Hello.
Maryann Lane, 20, stands five-foot-two with long blonde flowing hair, she wearing a pair of short shorts and a strapless top.
MARYANN
If I knew you weren't coming back to school I would have came home with you.
DEANDRE
Nice seeing you too.
She pushes past him and forces her self inside the front door.
MARYANN
I thought you would have called me by now or something.
DEANDRE
I told you before I left what my plans where and the fact you went home for break instead of coming to the game told me you had betters things to do.
MARYANN
I miss you stilly that's why I'm here.
DEANDRE
What am I suppose to say to that? We are finish. I made that pretty clear, So what are you doing here.
She reaches into her purse and pulls out letter after letter.
MARYANN
While, here is all your mail you should forward the rest. Your roommates wanted me to bring this to you.
KAREN
What is all of this?
MARYANN
I guess your going to have read it and find out.
DEANDRE
Look Maryann, I’m in a in a hard place right now and i think asking you to be apart of this would only be difficult for the both of us.
MARYANN
So who is she?
DEANDRE
I think we are better off being friends.
MARYANN
Look I understand your home now and you are working on you but we’ve been together for three years.
DEANDRE
And every time I ask if you wanted to come home with me to meet my parents you shot me down.
MARYANN
I’m here now.
DEANDRE
Again I’m working on getting better so I can go into the draft.
MARYANN
So, you still living that dream.
DEANDRE
Look thanks for the letters and the mail, I’ll make sure to forward the rest of my mail, anything else of my stuff I’ll pick it up when I’m able to drive.
MARYANN
I wish you the best. You have my number don’t be a stranger.
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH - DREW’S BEDROOM - NIGHT
Karen puts Drew to bed and turns on his night light.
KAREN
Good-night sweetheart.
Walking into the front room.
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH - KITCHEN - MOMENTS LATER
Susan sits in front of the television.
SUSAN
So where is he taking you?
KAREN
I don’t know but in town there aren’t to many places. Look you have my cell number if you need me absolute no one is to be in the house.
Karen takes a wrap from the coat rack and walks towards the door.
EXT. DOUBLE K RANCH - MOMENTS LATER
DeAndre sits at the door for a seconds inhales once and knocks at the door.
KAREN
Look at you, you didn’t have to bring me flowers, one second come in.
DEANDRE
I know these are your favorites and I want to make sure you have something to remember me by when I’m not here.
SUSAN
I’m sure she will remember you, even with out flowers.
KAREN
You remember my baby sister, Susan, the one with the big mouth.
DEANDRE
Yes, not so little any more she is all grown up.
Susan, runs over and jumps on DeAndre.
SUSAN
You remember what you use to do when you came to my moms house to hang out with Karen.
DEANDRE
Yes how can I forget.
SUSAN
Well, what are you waiting for.
DEANDRE
You don’t think your to be for that.
SUSAN
Nope.
DeAndre picks her up by both arms and swings her from side to side.
KAREN
Alright you two enough.
DEANDRE
You still haven’t changed.
KAREN
If you need me call, if you need anything else call mom first, then call me if you can’t reach her.
INT. THERAPIST OFFICE - DAY
DeAndre is working on hi knee.
DAN
Come on DeAndre just one more set.
KAREN
Come on Dre you can do it.
Into the room walks Maryann.
DAN
Excuse me. Miss, how did you get in here this a private session?
Maryann walks over to DeAndre.
DEANDRE
I’ll handle this Dan.
MARYANN
Hi, DeAndre.
DEANDRE
Hi, Maryann.
KAREN
Hello, is it Maryann?
Karen extends her hand but Maryann ignores it.
DEANDRE
Look, Maryann you can’t just show up here uninvited when every you want. This is private session between me and my doctor.
MARYANN
Then who is she, and why is she her, I don’t understand if this private why is she her and why can’t I be here?
KAREN
She is none of your business and why I’m here is because he ask me to be here.
MARYANN
Don’t be upset with me I thought you wouldn’t mind.
DEANDRE
I’m not mad. Just wondering how you knew I was going to be here and how did you find this place?
MARYANN
I sync up my blackberry calendar with your’s. I hope you don’t mind I just wanted to be here for you baby.
Maryann waves her phone in the air.
KAREN
I’m going outside.
Karen walks out.
DEANDRE
If you didn’t understand me, we are finish. I’ve moved on and I don’t want to be with you. I can’t be with you.
MARYANN
I understood but I just wanted to be here for you I just want to cheer you on.
DEANDRE
Look I don’t need a cheerleader and I’m not looking for a girlfriend.
MARYANN
If you love someone else tell me.
DEANDRE
I don’t love you, I’ve moved on that’s all I can tell you.
Karen walks back into the room
DAN (O.S.)
Let’s go we need to wrap up.
DEANDRE
Look I need to go, but understand I’m being clear as I can. Right now, I’m about getting back in shape for the draft and that’s it.
Maryann stumps off.
INT. MORNING JOE’S - AFTERNOON
Rachel holds the door open.
RACHEL
Good afternoon. How are you doing today?
KAREN
Could be better.
RACHEL
Why do you say that what happen?
KAREN
Let’s just say someone is in the dog house.
The door chimes in walks DeAndre.
DEANDRE
Karen can we talk about yesterday?
KAREN
Sure we can but not here let’s walk to the park.
Karen grabs her coat of the coat rack.
EXT. ANDERSON PARK - MOMENTS LATER
They set at a bench.
DEANDRE
I know that was difficult and I never wanted to place you in that situation.
Karen takes his hand.
KAREN
I understand how it is, you are in a relationship.
DEANDRE
No. Not even.
KAREN
I just thought.
DEANDRE
We haven’t been together for months.
KAREN
Look I’m not the type, to get caught up.
DEANDRE
Neither am I.
KAREN
I understand if you guys are working.
DEANDRE
Karen no. Look we ended it a long time ago and now she just.
KAREN
Trying to reboot.
DEANDRE
Well, maybe, but I’m not interested in her, I want to see where we can go.
KAREN
Are sure you want to go back down that road.
DEANDRE
I’m sure, it’s a road less traveled and maybe we can make it work.
KAREN
If you don’t mind me asking what did you see in her.
They both laugh out loud.
INT. DOCTOR’S OFFICE - TWO MONTHS LATER - DAY
Karen sits with DeAndre in the doctor’s office.
DOCTOR SMITH
I had Doctor Lee send over your MRI from eight months ago and taking a look at the knee now it hard to believe we are looking at the same knee.
DEANDRE
Are you saying that I can return to playing ball?
DOCTOR SMITH
You can play ball and do more than that but if your going to return to full contact sports, I suggest you start wearing a knee brace.
KAREN
Will he need to continue with physical therapy?
DOCTOR SMITH
In order to build the strength back into his leg he will need to continue with his therapist until he tells him he’s finish.
INT. DEANDRE MORGAN’S HOUSE - NIGHT
DeAndre’s family sets around the living room.
MR. MORGAN
Any idea when he will go.
Ed Stanton DeAndre’s agent  a short stocky man standing about five nine, wearing a nice tie and a long sleeved shirt with jeans on.
DEANDRE
Looks like where up.
ED
Don’t worry with all the work-outs with the different teams you had this is where your going to see the payoff.
KAREN
You better with all those days in rehab and the back staking work you will go here baby. Good luck.
Karen reach out and kisses him.
ANNOUNER (O.S.)
With the thirty fifth pick over all the San Francisco forty niners pick DeAndre Morgan.
DeAndre jumps to his feet and grabs Karen and Drew hugs and kisses them both.
EXT. SAN FRANCISCO FORTY NINERS FIELD - DAY
DeAndre walks out onto the field and looks out over the stadium.
COACH HARBAUGH
This is it son, this is the first time you walk out onto this field without a forty niners jersey on because from here on out you will be playing with hopes of leading ten other guys into all out battle in the greatest game on earth.
Coach walk’s back into the stadium.
DEANDRE
Soak it up son.
KAREN
Can you believe you are living your dreams.
DEANDRE
I’m just glad your here to live them with me.
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT
Karen sits with her mother and sister watching the person game.
MRS. KATHLEEN
What are you going to do?
KAREN
Do about what?
MRS. KATHLEEN
The boy need to know his father.
KAREN
If you bug me about this again , mom just leave it alone.
DREW
Mom, can I go out and play?
KAREN
Sure just play out front where I can see you.
The front door slam’s behind him.
MRS. KATHLEEN
The boy should have a relationship with his father.
EXT. SAN FRANCISCO FORTY NINERS PRACTICE FIELD - DAY
First day of preseason practice.
COACH HARBAUGH
Come lets go second team offense and first team defence line it up. Second team offence and first team defence.
DeAndre on the sidelines with Mark Randall a six-foot-three tall defence back, he wears the number twenty-four.
DEANDRE
When do the rookies play?
MARK
When coach puts you in.
DEANDRE
Or when someone gets hurt.
MARK
That too.
DEANDRE
Guess right now I just need to learn the plays.
COACH HARBAUGH
Morgan get in there.
INT. MORNING JOE’S - DAY - INTERCUT
KAREN
(into phone)
When are you getting a chance to come home.
INT. PRACTICE TEAM DORM - DAY - INTERCUT
DEANDRE
It’s like spring ball in high school none of the games meaning anything but you have to show improvement or you can get cut.
KAREN
Do your best and know that we all are pulling for you, and I love you.
DEANDRE
I love you too I’ll be home when I get a chance.
KAREN
When I get back I have a surprise for you.
DEANDRE
A surprise?
KAREN
Don’t ask.
DEANDRE
Okay.
KAREN
Bye.
DEANDRE
Bye.
DeAndre hangs up.
EXT. SAN FRANCISCO FORTY NINERS FIELD - NIGHT
First preseason game Karen and Drew are in the stands.
KAREN
Do you have everything?
DREW
I’m fine mom.
RACHEL
Pass me the binoculars.
KAREN
You don’t need them he’s right there.
RACHEL
How do you know that’s what I’m looking at.
KAREN
Hold on let me get them out off my bag.
She hand her a pair of glasses.
RACHEL
I think that’s his ex setting at the fifty yard line.
KAREN
Give me those. That’s her Maryann. Stay her with Drew I’ll be right back.
Karen walks down to the row that Maryann is at.
MARYANN
Oh, hi Karen.
KAREN
Hello, Maryann I thought I would come and say hi.
MARYANN
I saw that DeAndre was drafted by the niners and couldn’t help but to come and show my support.
Karen push her way pass the first seat and sits next to her.
KAREN
I understand but let me tell you Dre, is off limits if I found out you so much as look in his direction I’ll be this close to you again in a heartbeat.
Karen stand and pushes back out passing a man with drinks.
INT. DEANDRE’S APARTMENT - NIGHT
RACHEL
That was a great game!
KAREN
Why were you in so long?
DEANDRE
What does that mean?
DREW
It’s preseason mom.
KAREN
I mean aren't you second string?
DEANDRE
What he means is that we all play to test the depth of our team. And I think Coach likes what he see that’s why he’s moving me to second team.
INT. FARMERS MARKET - MORNING
Karen is at the market with Drew and is setting up here stand.
MRS. MORGAN
Karen! How have you been?
KAREN
Great! How’s everything with you?
Karen pushes up the top of her stand.
MRS. MORGAN
DeAndre said that you and Drew went to the game.
DREW
It was fun!
MRS. MORGAN
This is Ty my grandson.
Ty is a young six-year-old, he is light skin like Drew, and wearing jeans shorts and a T-shirt.
DREW
You want to play?
TY
Sure.
The boys go running off to play.
KAREN
I’ve almost finish opening let me put these few things up, and I’ll come over and set with you.
Mrs. Morgan walks to a near bye stand and holding a menu.
MRS. MORGAN
May I have three Ice cream cones please?
The Ice cream man stands behind a deep glass chest filled with all kinds of ice cream, with a smile.
KAREN
Did you get me one too?
MRS. MORGAN
No. Did you want one?
Both boys start to run over towards the women.

The boys both dig into there cones.
Mrs. Morgan notices a mark on Drew’s arm.
MRS. MORGAN (CONT’D)
Drew did you hurt you self or something? How did you get that mark?
KAREN
He has always had that he was born with.
Mrs. Morgan drops her cone to the floor.
MRS. MORGAN
What do you mean he has that his whole life?
KAREN
It’s just a brith mark no big deal he was born with.
Mrs. Morgan picks up the cone and places it in the trash.
MRS. MORGAN
I have to go, it was nice speaking to you today.
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH - FRONT ROOM
Karen is in her front room.
Looking over a box of old pictures.
DREW
Mom what are you doing?
KAREN
Just looking at some old pictures.
DREW
Of who?
KAREN
Me and your dad -- Deandre.
DREW
Let me see.
Drew drops and sits next to his mother.
INT. MORNING JOE’S - DAY
KAREN (V.O.)
I can’t believe I let it slip out last night in front of Drew.
In walks a TALL MAN wearing a jacket holding a briefcase.
INVESTIGATOR
Are you Karen Kathleen?
KAREN
Who’s asking?
He puts down his briefcase.
INVESTIGATOR
I am a special investigator with the state and I’ve a summons for you.
KAREN
What do you want from me?
INVESTIGATOR
You have been served.
He hands her the summons and walks out the shop.
Karen looks at the court summons her face turns pale.
Karen reads over the documents.
KAREN (V.O.)
On this day in the California court of child and family services you have been summoned to give evidence on the parentally of one Drew Kathleen as a matter for the court to decide on the paternal nature of the child as requested for conjoint for parentally.
Karen’s mother walks into the shop.
MRS. KATHLEEN
Karen what is it? What’s wrong?
Karen hands her the court papers and fall's to her knees.
MRS. KATHLEEN (CONT’D)
Who could have put this other than Deandre?
Karen pushes herself from the floor.
KAREN
It was her.
MRS. KATHLEEN
Her who?
KAREN
Dre’s mother she left the farms market in a hurry that day after seeing Drew’s birth mark.
MRS. KATHLEEN
Karen I beg you to tell him this would have never happened.
KAREN
I didn't want to force him to be with me then and now is the same he would have never accepted his son as his son if I forced him out of pure obligation.
MRS. KATHLEEN
But look at this mess now and how will you explain this to Drew.
KAREN
I will talk to him don’t worry about this she will not get away this not over my dead body.
INT. MORGAN’S DOWNSTAIRS LIVING-ROOM - DAY
Deandre family has gathered to greet his return home.
DEANDRE
Mom! Dad! Where is everybody?
The lights come on.


DEANDRE
Wow, What is all this?
MRS. MORGAN
Happy birthday baby.
Mrs. Morgan hugs her son.
MR. MORGAN
Happy birthday son. Congratulation.
DEANDRE
Thanks dad.
MR. MORGAN
Alright who want’s cake?
DEANDRE
I see my own teammates were in on this.
TEAMMATE
Who wasn’t in on this?
DEANDRE
I want to thank everyone for helping me celebrity my birthday, here is to great preseason and to even better fall season to come.
EXT. DOUBLE K RANCH - EVENING
Doorbell rings.
KAREN
Drew come on it’s DeAndre let’s walk the dogs.
DEANDRE
Where are you two going?
KAREN
Where just going to walk the dogs care to join us?
DEANDRE
Sure, let me just put my bags down.
INT. DOUBLE K RANCH - KITCHEN - MORNING
KAREN
That wasn’t so bad.
DEANDRE
I wasn’t to sure how little man was going to take it.
KAREN
Take what?
DEANDRE
Having another man sleeping in the house.
KAREN
He was so happy that you where back that he didn’t even think about anything else.
DEANDRE
So, what’s new with you?
KAREN
Oh (beat) nothing really I got a summons last week, to appear in court about custody for Drew.
DEANDRE
From who Drew’s father.
KAREN
I don’t think so.
DEANDRE
Why not, then from who?
KAREN
I think your mother.
DEANDRE
My mother what would she have to do with this?
KAREN
Well.
DEANDRE
She is putting her nose in where it doesn’t belong.
KAREN
I never understood what your mother thought but--
DEANDRE
Let me talk to her let me talk some sense into her.
KAREN
Don’t say a word to her.
DEANDRE
She has no right.
KAREN
I know that, you know that but sometimes people get all in a uproar.
DEANDRE
Why?
KAREN
She said something about a birthmark.
He lifts up his shirt.
DEANDRE
This one.
Her eye’s widen .
KAREN
I’ve never seen that before.
DEANDRE
I know I’m a little ashamed of it so I hide it.
Karen moves the front of the from.
KAREN
Don’t worry about it I’ll handle it.
EXT. HANGER - EARLY MORNING
KAREN
(into headset)
The bird is off the ground, are you okay back there?
WINTORTH RIGHT
(into headset)
You know every time I get into a bird with you a say a little pray.
KAREN
Aw you break-in my heart.
She pushes the nose down sharply and pulls it back up.
WINTORTH RIGHT
Come on now.
KAREN
What?
WINTORTH RIGHT
It is been a while since we’ve been up together and it strange you called me to take you up what’s on your mind?
KAREN
I’ve always been able to talk to you about anything and now with everything with Dre I feel my whole world is coming apart and I have no one to turn to. And every since my father died I’ve always looked up to you .
WINTORTH RIGHT
I know you and your mother are close.
KAREN
And that’s the problem my mother doesn’t see things sometimes in the same way I would like her to and she has the ability to put her special little spin on things which drives me for lack of a bitter word crazy.
WINTORTH RIGHT
I look at things pretty cut and dry.
KAREN
And that’s one of the things I love about you.
WINTORTH RIGHT
You always tell the truth when you can and if you can’t work it in the best way you know how.
KAREN
The truth that dirty little word.
WINTORTH RIGHT
Look at it like this if you don’t want someone to lie to you why tell them anything else that is untruthful. As my dear old mother would say lie sometimes will damn you but the truth will set you free each and every time.
The sunsets over the horizon and Karen turns the plane back.
KAREN
You know I’ve always enjoyed these little talks.
WINTORTH RIGHT
You have.
KAREN
Now hold on.
The plane turns up into the air.
WINTORTH RIGHT
(yelling)
Karen!
END OF PILOT EPISODE












Comments

Popular Posts