Skip to main content

SCREENWRITING WEBINARS BY SYD FIELD



LATEST NEWS, OTHERCOMMENTS OFF ON SCREENWRITING WEBINARS BY SYD FIELD

In his last interview on November 8, 2013, Syd spoke about his passion: “The whole purpose of my teaching is to inspire people to access their own creativity, that mission has driven me forward all the way from the beginning. Let people know, and give people the tools to access their own inspiration, and then they’ll do the rest.”
Syd dedicated his life to teaching, and wanted to ensure that his screenwriting method would live on to empower many new generations of writers. In his memoir, Going to the Movies, Syd wrote:
“To me, film is a language that speaks directly to the heart. When I see a movie I like, I can talk endlessly about the visual brilliance of the director, the great acting of the actors, the broad sweep of the photography, the poetry of the editing or the ingeniousness of the special effects. But when I get right down to it, there’s only one thing that holds the whole thing together. And that’s the story. Ideas, concepts, jargon, analytical comments, don’t really mean a thing. Whether the movie proceeds in a straight line or a circle, or is fractured and splintered into little pieces, doesn’t make a bit of difference. Movies are all about story.”
As Syd always said, “Good writing!”
Warmly,
Aviva Field
President
The Art of Visual Storytelling
A Resource Website for Screenwriters & Storytellers

Thank you Syd..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q&A – Lawrence Gilliard Jr. (Bob Stookey)

  Actor Lawrence Gilliard Jr., who plays Bob Stookey on AMC’s  The Walking Dead,  talks about his apocalypse-ready clarinet skills and how his character from  The Wire would react to zombies. Q: You’ve been in a lot of crime-centric shows. Were you excited to do something different on The Walking Dead ? A: Yeah absolutely. You get to play and have more fun and be more creative when you’re doing a show like this. Killing zombies — that’s what you do as a kid! Now I get to do it as a grownup. I definitely looked forward to the change and I’m having fun. Q: Your character is a medic. Do you have any skills that would be useful in the apocalypse? A: I play clarinet. I also play the drums, so I could keep the spirits lively and entertain everyone. That’s all I could do. Q: Bob is a pretty good shot. Did you do any weapons training for the role? A: None so far. When I was young, I learned to shoot, so I don’t really need any training for that. Q: You’ve...

A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms: ®Dramatica® Syd Field Michael Hauge Robert McKee Linda Seger John Truby Christopher Vogler

A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms: ® Dramatica ® Syd Field Michael Hauge Robert McKee Linda Seger John Truby Christopher Vogler Write Brothers ® Inc. 138 N. Brand Blvd. #201 Glendale, CA 91203 2.             How and Why Dramatica is Different from Other Story Paradigms by Chris Huntley I spent nearly sixteen years avoiding reading anything of substance by (Hollywood) story theorists such as Syd Field, John Truby, Christopher Vogler, Robert McKee and others. As co-creator of the Dramatica theory of story, I didn't want to influence my development of Dramatica so I avoided direct interaction with competing theories. In 2006 I decided to lift my self-imposed ban. I figured my understanding of Dramatica was mature enough that I didn’t have to worry about "contaminating" it by exposure to the competing theories. It was past time that I figured out how other story theories are similar and dissimilar to Dramatica...

The Matrix Script

English 192 Science Fiction Spring 2002 Professor William Warner Course Overview Schedule Assignments Study Materials Course Policies The Matrix: Script Larry and Andy Wachowski Note: this script is off the web, and has not been checked for accuracy. For authorized version of the script, see The Art of the Matrix, New Market Press, New York, 2000. Computer screen, with flashing cursor.) Cypher : Yeah. Trinity : Is everything in place? Cypher : You weren't supposed to relieve me. Trinity : I know, but I felt like taking your shift. Cypher : You like him, don't you? You like watching him. Trinity : Don't be ridiculous. Cypher : We're going to kill him, do you understand that? Trinity : Morpheus believes he is The One. Cypher : Do you? Trinity : It doesn't matter what I believe. Cypher : You don't, do you? Trinity : Did you hear that? Cypher : Hear what? Trinity : Are you sure this line is clean? Cypher : Yeah, 'course I'm sure. Trinity : I'd bet...