Skip to main content

Springboards & Premise - 2


Assignment 2: Springboards and Premise


Goals:


Writing for television animation and comics often means coming up with a number of story ideas that you can pitch to story editors and producers. These springboards are usually brief (but longer than a log line) and can be about everything from characters flaws, current ideas and situations, unusual locations, a theme, or an exciting visual. You would usually pitch three ideas (3) and then have several more one or two sentence ideas (sometimes called spitballs) that you can also pitch if your main springboards don’t hit. The goal of this assignment is to generate a number of exciting ideas that are fun, fresh and have potential for conflict, action, humor and the big climatic finish. Then, take one of these ideas and develop it into a one to two page premise.


Instructions:


Submit three springboards of 25-100 words each and a premise of one to two pages.


These springboards must use the characters you developed in the Character Profile Assignment. You automatically lose 10 points if you do not use the characters from the Character Profile assignment.


Your springboards should be for an original idea for an animated short or half-hour television animation or a single issue of a comic.


Your springboards should not come from ideas you are using or have pitched for your Thesis Project.


Then take one of these springboards and develop it into a one to two page premise.


Use the Premise Checklist on p. 121 in Wright as well as the example in Wright following the checklist to help you write the premise. Submit springboards and premise as a Word Document.


Due Sunday 11:59 PM EST


Assignment Rubric


See previous Assignment 1 Rubric


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q&A – Lawrence Gilliard Jr. (Bob Stookey)

  Actor Lawrence Gilliard Jr., who plays Bob Stookey on AMC’s  The Walking Dead,  talks about his apocalypse-ready clarinet skills and how his character from  The Wire would react to zombies. Q: You’ve been in a lot of crime-centric shows. Were you excited to do something different on The Walking Dead ? A: Yeah absolutely. You get to play and have more fun and be more creative when you’re doing a show like this. Killing zombies — that’s what you do as a kid! Now I get to do it as a grownup. I definitely looked forward to the change and I’m having fun. Q: Your character is a medic. Do you have any skills that would be useful in the apocalypse? A: I play clarinet. I also play the drums, so I could keep the spirits lively and entertain everyone. That’s all I could do. Q: Bob is a pretty good shot. Did you do any weapons training for the role? A: None so far. When I was young, I learned to shoot, so I don’t really need any training for that. Q: You’ve...

A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms: ®Dramatica® Syd Field Michael Hauge Robert McKee Linda Seger John Truby Christopher Vogler

A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms: ® Dramatica ® Syd Field Michael Hauge Robert McKee Linda Seger John Truby Christopher Vogler Write Brothers ® Inc. 138 N. Brand Blvd. #201 Glendale, CA 91203 2.             How and Why Dramatica is Different from Other Story Paradigms by Chris Huntley I spent nearly sixteen years avoiding reading anything of substance by (Hollywood) story theorists such as Syd Field, John Truby, Christopher Vogler, Robert McKee and others. As co-creator of the Dramatica theory of story, I didn't want to influence my development of Dramatica so I avoided direct interaction with competing theories. In 2006 I decided to lift my self-imposed ban. I figured my understanding of Dramatica was mature enough that I didn’t have to worry about "contaminating" it by exposure to the competing theories. It was past time that I figured out how other story theories are similar and dissimilar to Dramatica...

The Matrix Script

English 192 Science Fiction Spring 2002 Professor William Warner Course Overview Schedule Assignments Study Materials Course Policies The Matrix: Script Larry and Andy Wachowski Note: this script is off the web, and has not been checked for accuracy. For authorized version of the script, see The Art of the Matrix, New Market Press, New York, 2000. Computer screen, with flashing cursor.) Cypher : Yeah. Trinity : Is everything in place? Cypher : You weren't supposed to relieve me. Trinity : I know, but I felt like taking your shift. Cypher : You like him, don't you? You like watching him. Trinity : Don't be ridiculous. Cypher : We're going to kill him, do you understand that? Trinity : Morpheus believes he is The One. Cypher : Do you? Trinity : It doesn't matter what I believe. Cypher : You don't, do you? Trinity : Did you hear that? Cypher : Hear what? Trinity : Are you sure this line is clean? Cypher : Yeah, 'course I'm sure. Trinity : I'd bet...