Skip to main content

2.3 Problems with Plot

(Due: Oct 10 Status: Not Completed)


Problems of Plot


1. Read Fields, Chapters 8-11.

2. Understand and consider the following concepts and questions:

o Why is there a tendency with writers to explain instead of reveal their story and why do they rely so heavily on dialogue to move the story forward?

o What can be attributed to most problems in screenwriting and why do you think most writers hesitate to do enough research?

o What does Fields mean by too much too soon?

o One of the most common problems screenwriters have is explaining too much (using too much exposition). Can you think of instances in your own writing where you’ve felt like there might be too much exposition? How did you solve this? How does Field say to solve it?

o Fields identifies one of the primary rules of screening to be that the audience discovers what’s going on at the same time the protagonist does. Why do you think this is so important?

o If you skip important scenes for moving your story forward, is that a problem with character, structure or plot?

o What’s better, to question whether or not you need a scene or what’s needed for the story and why?

o What do transitions do and who writes them?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q&A – Lawrence Gilliard Jr. (Bob Stookey)

  Actor Lawrence Gilliard Jr., who plays Bob Stookey on AMC’s  The Walking Dead,  talks about his apocalypse-ready clarinet skills and how his character from  The Wire would react to zombies. Q: You’ve been in a lot of crime-centric shows. Were you excited to do something different on The Walking Dead ? A: Yeah absolutely. You get to play and have more fun and be more creative when you’re doing a show like this. Killing zombies — that’s what you do as a kid! Now I get to do it as a grownup. I definitely looked forward to the change and I’m having fun. Q: Your character is a medic. Do you have any skills that would be useful in the apocalypse? A: I play clarinet. I also play the drums, so I could keep the spirits lively and entertain everyone. That’s all I could do. Q: Bob is a pretty good shot. Did you do any weapons training for the role? A: None so far. When I was young, I learned to shoot, so I don’t really need any training for that. Q: You’ve...

A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms: ®Dramatica® Syd Field Michael Hauge Robert McKee Linda Seger John Truby Christopher Vogler

A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms: ® Dramatica ® Syd Field Michael Hauge Robert McKee Linda Seger John Truby Christopher Vogler Write Brothers ® Inc. 138 N. Brand Blvd. #201 Glendale, CA 91203 2.             How and Why Dramatica is Different from Other Story Paradigms by Chris Huntley I spent nearly sixteen years avoiding reading anything of substance by (Hollywood) story theorists such as Syd Field, John Truby, Christopher Vogler, Robert McKee and others. As co-creator of the Dramatica theory of story, I didn't want to influence my development of Dramatica so I avoided direct interaction with competing theories. In 2006 I decided to lift my self-imposed ban. I figured my understanding of Dramatica was mature enough that I didn’t have to worry about "contaminating" it by exposure to the competing theories. It was past time that I figured out how other story theories are similar and dissimilar to Dramatica...

The Matrix Script

English 192 Science Fiction Spring 2002 Professor William Warner Course Overview Schedule Assignments Study Materials Course Policies The Matrix: Script Larry and Andy Wachowski Note: this script is off the web, and has not been checked for accuracy. For authorized version of the script, see The Art of the Matrix, New Market Press, New York, 2000. Computer screen, with flashing cursor.) Cypher : Yeah. Trinity : Is everything in place? Cypher : You weren't supposed to relieve me. Trinity : I know, but I felt like taking your shift. Cypher : You like him, don't you? You like watching him. Trinity : Don't be ridiculous. Cypher : We're going to kill him, do you understand that? Trinity : Morpheus believes he is The One. Cypher : Do you? Trinity : It doesn't matter what I believe. Cypher : You don't, do you? Trinity : Did you hear that? Cypher : Hear what? Trinity : Are you sure this line is clean? Cypher : Yeah, 'course I'm sure. Trinity : I'd bet...