Skip to main content

2.5 Trauma and the Unrepresentable


( Due: Sun, 16 Jan | Status: Not Completed )
1. Listen to H.P. Lovecraft’s “The Unnameable” as read by MorganScorpion on The Internet Archive:


The Internet Archive is a fantastic source for public domain and Creative Commons (CC) audio, video, texts and concert recordings. It’s also the home of the Wayback Machine, an archive of the past contents of web pages dating back to 1996. If you don’t have it bookmarked already, do so immediately.


2. Trauma theory is part of present-day clinical practice. It has to do with how people process incredibly stressful events. The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) suffered by many soldiers returning from war is described by trauma theory. Trauma often leads to repetition and avoidance behaviors, and especially an inability to remember, process, or feel connected to the moment of trauma (“dissociation”). Trauma theory offers another way to look at how your characters deal with stress and its aftermath, especially if you want their reactions to be realistic. Read the following:

ISSTD Trauma FAQ:

ISSTD Dissociation FAQ

3. Consider:
a. One of the reasons that action heroes often feel “flat” is that they go through great trauma, stress, and loss without so much as a scratch on their psyche. How would you go about writing a scene in which your protagonist deals with the aftermath of personal trauma?
b. In “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog,” Penny’s death was a moment of great trauma for the title character, and a real shock to the audience. How are these two traumas (the protagonist’s and the audience’s) represented in the video?
c. Lovecraft’s “The Unnameable” predates the term “trauma theory,” but was written after WWI, where the term “shell shock” entered the vocabulary. How do the narrator and his friend react to their trauma in the story? Why is it “unnameable”?
d. In theory, people can recover from psychological trauma, but not all do. The next lesson covers the range of clinically recognized personality disorders, which can be treated but not cured. Sometimes trauma leads to the development of a personality disorder. How can you use trauma, old and new, to develop your characters?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q&A – Lawrence Gilliard Jr. (Bob Stookey)

  Actor Lawrence Gilliard Jr., who plays Bob Stookey on AMC’s  The Walking Dead,  talks about his apocalypse-ready clarinet skills and how his character from  The Wire would react to zombies. Q: You’ve been in a lot of crime-centric shows. Were you excited to do something different on The Walking Dead ? A: Yeah absolutely. You get to play and have more fun and be more creative when you’re doing a show like this. Killing zombies — that’s what you do as a kid! Now I get to do it as a grownup. I definitely looked forward to the change and I’m having fun. Q: Your character is a medic. Do you have any skills that would be useful in the apocalypse? A: I play clarinet. I also play the drums, so I could keep the spirits lively and entertain everyone. That’s all I could do. Q: Bob is a pretty good shot. Did you do any weapons training for the role? A: None so far. When I was young, I learned to shoot, so I don’t really need any training for that. Q: You’ve...

A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms: ®Dramatica® Syd Field Michael Hauge Robert McKee Linda Seger John Truby Christopher Vogler

A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms: ® Dramatica ® Syd Field Michael Hauge Robert McKee Linda Seger John Truby Christopher Vogler Write Brothers ® Inc. 138 N. Brand Blvd. #201 Glendale, CA 91203 2.             How and Why Dramatica is Different from Other Story Paradigms by Chris Huntley I spent nearly sixteen years avoiding reading anything of substance by (Hollywood) story theorists such as Syd Field, John Truby, Christopher Vogler, Robert McKee and others. As co-creator of the Dramatica theory of story, I didn't want to influence my development of Dramatica so I avoided direct interaction with competing theories. In 2006 I decided to lift my self-imposed ban. I figured my understanding of Dramatica was mature enough that I didn’t have to worry about "contaminating" it by exposure to the competing theories. It was past time that I figured out how other story theories are similar and dissimilar to Dramatica...

The Matrix Script

English 192 Science Fiction Spring 2002 Professor William Warner Course Overview Schedule Assignments Study Materials Course Policies The Matrix: Script Larry and Andy Wachowski Note: this script is off the web, and has not been checked for accuracy. For authorized version of the script, see The Art of the Matrix, New Market Press, New York, 2000. Computer screen, with flashing cursor.) Cypher : Yeah. Trinity : Is everything in place? Cypher : You weren't supposed to relieve me. Trinity : I know, but I felt like taking your shift. Cypher : You like him, don't you? You like watching him. Trinity : Don't be ridiculous. Cypher : We're going to kill him, do you understand that? Trinity : Morpheus believes he is The One. Cypher : Do you? Trinity : It doesn't matter what I believe. Cypher : You don't, do you? Trinity : Did you hear that? Cypher : Hear what? Trinity : Are you sure this line is clean? Cypher : Yeah, 'course I'm sure. Trinity : I'd bet...